Tynes.Science is solely and independently responsible for its own privacy practices.
- Information that Tynes.Science collects from you (including Personal Information )
- Cookies and Tracking Technologies on the Tynes.Science Site
- How your information is used
- How your information is shared
- How to manage your Personal Information
- Storage & Security
- Contact information
Information that Tynes.Science Collects from You (Including Personal Information)
Tynes.Science directly collects information when you:
- sign up for an Tynes.Science user account and create an Tynes.Science user profile;
- enroll and participate in online courses;
- purchase a product or service (for example, Verified Certificates );
- send email messages to Tynes.Science (including messages to learner support);
- participate in user surveys; and
- participate in public forums, webinars, and other interactive experiences on the Tynes.Science Site.
Tynes.Science also indirectly collects usage information about your visit to the Tynes.Science Site, as explained in the section below titled Cookies and Tracking Technologies .
Tynes.Science does not itself collect or store financial account numbers or identification issued by a governmental entity, employer, or other authority. Instead, if you choose to make a purchase on the Tynes.Science Site, for example a Verified Certificate, you will be directed to Tynes.Science’s third-party payment processor and Tynes.Science’s third-party ID verification service provider. If you do not wish to submit the required authentication or payment information, then you will not be able to obtain a certificate via the Tynes.Science Site.
Tynes.Science requires your Personal Information only in limited circumstances when you:
- sign up for an Tynes.Science user account (name, username, email address);
- purchase a Verified Certificate (so that Tynes.Science’s third-party vendor can authenticate your identity) or other product or service (so that Tynes.Science’s third-party vendor can process payment);
- participate in remote proctoring or other course facilitation processes (so that Tynes.Science’s third-party vendor can monitor and assess the integrity of your course activity); or
- earn a Verified Certificate (the certificate will have your name on it).
To the extent that Tynes.Science associates the information that Tynes.Science collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your account profile.
You may voluntarily choose to share additional Personal Information on the Tynes.Science Site, for example:
- in your Tynes.Science account profile (and you may display a limited or full profile to other Tynes.Science Site users);
- in applying for financial assistance; or
- when participating in a course, forum, webinar, or other interactive experience on the Tynes.Science Site (noting that in some cases, this information is shared with a third party that provides tools or other assistance for the Tynes.Science Site or a course).
Tynes.Science encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing additional Personal Information on the Tynes.Science Site. (If you later choose to delete your Tynes.Science account, deletion of your Personal Information will be subject to the process and limits outlined below.)
Cookies And Tracking Technologies on the Tynes.Science Site
- based on your cookie settings, Tynes.Science tracks information indicating, among other things, which pages of the Tynes.Science Site were visited, the order in which they were visited, when they were visited, and which hyperlinks and other user interface controls were used;
- Tynes.Science may log the IP address, operating system, and browser software (including mobile use and device type when you use Tynes.Science native mobile apps) you used when accessing the Tynes.Science Site, and Tynes.Science may be able to determine from an IP address your Internet Service Provider and the geographic location of your point of connectivity; and
- Tynes.Science may track and collect information from emails that Tynes.Science sends to you, for example whether you opened the email or clicked on any links from the email.
Tynes.Science also partners with third parties to help us track and understand your activity on the Tynes.Science Site, how you interact with Tynes.Science’s social media, and how you find or may be referred to the Tynes.Science Site.
- when necessary for system administration, security, and integrity to ensure the Tynes.Science Site works properly for you. Without these technologies, the Tynes.Science Site may not function correctly;
- to enable analytics, performance and functionality, to help Tynes.Science gather information about how visitors use the Tynes.Science Site and monitor Tynes.Science Site performance, and to enhance your experience by recognizing and remembering whether you have visited the Tynes.Science Site before and may have any personal preferences; and
- to support marketing by enabling Tynes.Science to deliver content relevant to your interests on the Tynes.Science Site and third-party sites based on how you interact with Tynes.Science advertisements or content. Tynes.Science uses “first-party” cookies, which means cookies served by Tynes.Science, and also “third-party” cookies, which means cookies served by third parties that help Tynes.Science track this information.
You have some options for managing Cookies and other Tracking Technologies. These include:
- Modifying your browser settings : You should be able to control how and whether your web browser accepts Cookies by adjusting its privacy and security settings. The “help” feature of the menu bar on most browsers will tell you how to stop accepting new Cookies, how to receive notification of new Cookies, and how to disable existing Cookies. If you reject Tynes.Science’s Cookies, many functions and conveniences of the Tynes.Science Site may not work properly.
- Opting-out of certain third-party tracking and advertising : Some of the third parties used by Tynes.Science for Cookies and Tracking Technologies offer the ability to opt-out from their tracking by following processes described on their websites. Tynes.Science is not responsible for the effectiveness of any third-party opt-out options.
How Your Information Is Used
Tynes.Science uses information, including Personal Information , to carry out the following purposes:
- Operate and improve the Tynes.Science Site – This includes creating and improving features that support the Tynes.Science community and enable Tynes.Science Site usage at scale. This also includes personalizing the Tynes.Science Site, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs.
- Create, administer, provide, and teach courses – This includes creating and improving the delivery of massive open online courses and programs on Tynes.Science. This also includes personalizing courses, so your learning experience is tailored to your interests and needs, and assessing your performance and awarding certificates.
- Offer and improve products and services – This includes enabling you to navigate the Tynes.Science Site, to enroll and participate in courses and programs on the Tynes.Science Site, to learn effectively in such courses and programs, and to purchase or obtain products and services on the Tynes.Science Site such as Verified Certificates.
- Develop and maintain the security and performance of the Tynes.Science Site – This includes tracking Tynes.Science Site outages and creating software solutions, detecting violations of the Honor Code and Terms of Service, and monitoring uses, misuses, and potential misuses of the Tynes.Science Site.
- Communicate with you – This includes answering your course and platform questions, notifying you of course and Tynes.Science Site maintenance and updates, marketing to you about course offerings, programs, news, and related products and services of Tynes.Science or Tynes.Science affiliates, and as permitted under applicable law, sending you communications about products or services of selected business partners that may be of interest to you.
- Support scientific research including, for example, in the areas of cognitive science and education – This includes collaborating to enable and conduct research about how learners access and master course materials online, with the goal of improving course outcomes.
- Track Tynes.Science Site usage against goals and mission – This includes performing analytics to evaluate access to and performance in courses and course-related products and services and to report aggregate usage information (not Personal Information) to business partners and external audiences.
- Exercise, enforce, and comply with legal rights and obligations – This includes responding to subpoenas, court orders, or other legal process; and investigating, preventing, or taking action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect the rights, property, or safety of Tynes.Science, or others, and as otherwise required by applicable law.
Tynes.Science may also seek your consent for additional uses of information, including Personal Information, and will use it only for the purpose described to you. All use of Personal Information is subject to applicable law.
How Your Information Is Shared
Tynes.Science shares information, including Personal Information , with third parties for the following purposes:
- With other learners in courses that you take and with other visitors to the Tynes.Science Site, to create an interactive learning environment, support class participation, and share course information – This includes sharing comments, coursework, or other information or content that you submit to a portion of the Tynes.Science Site designed for viewing by other class members or for public communication. This also includes providing opportunities for you to communicate with other users who may have similar interests or educational goals, for instance, recommending specific study partners or connecting potential student mentees and mentors. In such cases, Tynes.Science may use all information collected about you to determine who might be interested in communicating with you, but will only provide others your username (for clarity, no disclosure of your real name or email address).
- With employers, government programs, institutions, or other enterprises that sponsor your enrollment in a course for training or other educational purposes – If an entity pays for or otherwise sponsors your Verified Certificate or course participation, Tynes.Science will share information with the entity as needed to confirm your enrollment, participation, progress, and completion status in that course.
Tynes.Science may also seek your consent for additional disclosures of information, including Personal Information, and will share it only as described to you. In addition, Tynes.Science may share with the public and with third parties, including but not limited to researchers and business partners, information and Personal Information that is de-identified or aggregated in a manner that does not personally identify you.
How to Manage Your Personal Information
You can manage your Personal Information through learner features on the Tynes.Science Site and requests to the Tynes.Science learner support team. Tynes.Science will provide support to the extent required by applicable law (for example, learners in the European Union) and more broadly when possible, as a courtesy in our sole discretion. Tynes.Science will notify you in the event that Tynes.Science is unable to meet a request that is not legally required.
Access and correct your Personal Information
Much of your Personal Information is available in your Tynes.Science account. Your name, email address, and other identifiable profile information is editable through the profile settings in your Tynes.Science account except as noted below. Your account dashboard lists all current and archived courses in which you have enrolled and includes links to any Verified Certificates you may have earned. The dashboard also contains copies of your answers and other participation and performance in courses. Please contact Tynes.Science learner support to access and update this or other information.
- Usernames cannot ever be changed. This is an Tynes.Science system restriction. Because usernames identify you in courses and elsewhere on the Tynes.Science Site, Tynes.Science encourages you to use discretion in choosing your username. If you want to protect your identity, do not use your real name or a name identifiable to you as your username.
- Tynes.Science does not track or index every time or every place on the Tynes.Science Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so Tynes.Science will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. Tynes.Science encourages you to use discretion before volunteering Personal Information on the Tynes.Science Site.
Restrict or object to the processing of Personal Information
If you want to manage emails and other communications to you, you may update your preferences in your Tynes.Science account dashboard, follow the steps described in links at the bottom of email messages, or contact Tynes.Science learner support. You may object to, or request that Tynes.Science stop, its use of your Personal Information for other purposes by contacting the Tynes.Science learner support team. Please note that if you choose to restrict Tynes.Science’s ability to process Personal Information, and the processing is otherwise required to provide you with various services and products offered on the Tynes.Science Site, you may not be able to establish an Tynes.Science user account or enroll for a course, and Tynes.Science may not be able to provide you with those services or products.
Delete account and Personal Information
To request deletion of your Tynes.Science account and Personal Information, you should click the button labeled “Delete my account” in your Tynes.Science account settings. Because deletion on the Tynes.Science system is a permanent action and cannot be reversed, Tynes.Science may ask you to complete a process that aims to confirm your authority to manage the Tynes.Science account affected by your request.
With respect to your Tynes.Science account, Tynes.Science will permanently :
- deactivate your Tynes.Science account,
- remove the active profile,
- retire your username, and
- remove you from Tynes.Science email lists.
With respect to your Personal Information, Tynes.Science will permanently delete your Tynes.Science account profile Personal Information from the Tynes.Science Site.
As noted above , to the extent that Tynes.Science associates the information that Tynes.Science collects directly or indirectly with an individual (for example, you), the association is based on Personal Information in your Tynes.Science account profile. By erasing the Personal Information in your Tynes.Science account profile, the remaining information about your activity on the Tynes.Science Site will no longer be associated with you, except as noted below.
These changes will be applied to data stores that are used for operation of the Tynes.Science Site.
- Deletion will not apply to historical activity logs or archives unless and until these logs and data naturally “age-off” the Tynes.Science system.
- Tynes.Science does not track or index every time or every place on the Tynes.Science Site when or where a learner may volunteer Personal Information, so Tynes.Science will not be able to help you locate or manage all such instances. Tynes.Science encourages you to use discretion before voluntarily sharing your Personal Information on the Tynes.Science Site.
- Tynes.Science will archive course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education.
- Tynes.Science cannot always delete records of past interactions and transactions. For example, records relating to previous purchases on the Tynes.Science Site must be retained for financial reporting, audit, and compliance reasons.
- Tynes.Science will retain and use Personal Information as necessary to comply with its legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
Tynes.Science will retain your Personal Information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you with services; to maintain a record of your transactions for financial reporting, audit, and compliance purposes; and to comply with Tynes.Science’s legal obligations, resolve disputes, enforce its agreements, and as otherwise permitted by applicable law. Upon your request that Tynes.Science deactivate your account and delete your information, Tynes.Science will follow the process described above, including without limitation archiving your course data (in a manner and to the extent permitted under applicable law) to serve its mission to enable scientific research on cognitive science and education.
Storage & Security
Tynes.Science stores information, including Personal Information , on its own servers and also on servers of companies that Tynes.Science hires to provide services. Information may be stored in the United States and in other countries where Tynes.Science operates, and in countries where Tynes.Science's service providers operate. If you are in the European Union, Switzerland, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use, you acknowledge that Tynes.Science may transfer, process and store your personal information in the United States and other countries, the privacy laws of which may be considered less strict than those of your region.
Tynes.Science controls its own copy of information collected through the Tynes.Science Site and has an information security program designed to protect information in its possession or control. This is done through a variety of privacy and security policies, processes, and procedures. Tynes.Science uses administrative, physical, and technical safeguards that reasonably and appropriately protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the information that it collects, receives, stores, or transmits. Nonetheless, no method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure; and therefore, Tynes.Science cannot guarantee its absolute security. While Tynes.Science works hard to ensure the integrity and security of its network and systems, Tynes.Science cannot guarantee that its security measures will prevent “hackers” or other unauthorized persons from illegally accessing or obtaining information.
If Tynes.Science learns of a security breach involving its copy of your Personal Information, Tynes.Science may attempt to notify you electronically so that you may take appropriate protective steps. By using the Tynes.Science Site or providing Personal Information to Tynes.Science, you agree that Tynes.Science can communicate with you electronically regarding security, privacy, and administrative issues relating to your use of the Tynes.Science Site. If a security systems breach occurs, Tynes.Science may post a notice on the Tynes.Science homepage (tynes.science) or elsewhere on the Tynes.Science Site and may send an email to you at the email address associated with your Tynes.Science account. Depending on where you are located, you may have a legal right to receive notice of a security breach, involving your Personal Information, in writing.
If you have privacy concerns, have disclosed data you would prefer to keep private, or would like to access the Personal Information that Tynes.Science maintains about you, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org . You may also write to us at: ATTN: PRIVACY, Tynes.Science Inc., 141 Portland Street, Cambridge, MA 02139 USA.
Tynes.Science Site consists of all content and pages located within the Tynes.Science.org web domain and all Tynes.Science mobile applications.
Personal Information is information that specifically identifies you or that, when combined with other information, could be used to identify you.
Tracking Technologies are web beacons, clear gifs, pixels, and similar technologies that are also unique identifiers used to track your online activity but are not stored on your device.
Verified Certificate is a virtual certificate that shows that you have successfully completed your Tynes.Science course or program and verified your identity using your webcam and your acceptable form of photo ID.